JERICCA CLELAND csc – CURRICULUM VITAE
FILM & TELEVISION PRODUCTION
- Jun 2014-Present, Writer-Director; Nørlum
Writer-director of original content including feature films, shorts, and immersive theatre. Projects have received the support of Creative Europe, the Danish Film Institute, and the National Film Board of Canada. Director of feature work, short films, virtual reality, documentary, and selected service work both in development and in production. Creative consultant on a variety of film projects internationally.
- July 2019-July 2020, Director of Photography: Fireheart (Main Journey)
Designed the colour and lighting of this CG animated feature film produced at L’Atelier Animation for Main Journey.
- Jan-Mar 2018, Story & Script Consultant: Wolfwalkers (Cartoon Saloon/AppleTV+)
Reshaped and reworked the story and script alongside directors Tomm Moore and Ross Stewart to deepen the story, develop and enrich the characters, and restructure the film to more strongly express its appeal, meaning, emotion, arcs, and themes.
- Apr 2015-May 2016, Director of Photography: Ballerina (The Weinstein Co/Gaumont/QUAD)
Directed the colour and lighting of this CG animated feature film produced at L’Atelier Animation for Quad Films. Oversaw creative direction through the final stages of image production.
- Oct 2012-Apr 2014, Co-Director: Ratchet & Clank (Focus Features/Rainmaker)
Co-Director of CG animated feature based on the highly successful Sony Play Station video game franchise.
- Mar 2013-Aug 2013, Director, Co-Writer: Undisclosed Pilot (Pressman Group)
Director and co-writer of a re-interpretation of an existing franchise into a pilot for a CG animated series. Worked closely with producer Jinko Gotoh (Klaus, The Little Prince, The Illusionist) for executive producer Ed Pressman.
- Sep 2011-Oct 2012, Series Director, Writer: Animism: The Gods’ Lake (APTN/Zeros2Heroes)
Director and writer of this unusual urban fantasy animated graphic novel-style series targeting a teen audience. Sole director of all 132min of award-nominated broadcast material.
- Nov 2010-Aug 2011, Cinematographer: Arthur Christmas (Aardman/Sony Pictures)
Award-nominated cinematographer for this CG animated feature co-produced by Aardman Animations and Sony Pictures. The film was nominated for Golden Globe Best Animated Feature, BAFTA Best Animated Feature, 6 Annie Awards, and two VES Awards, including Outstanding Cinematography in an Animated Feature.
- Sep 2007-Oct 2008 Cinematic Designer: Escape from Planet Earth (Weinstein Co/Rainmaker)
Cinematographer supporting the Director in design and oversight of shot design, lighting design, character staging, and camera work. Film later changed directors, though much of the existing material remained; credited as Cinematic Designer.
- April 2006-Oct 2007 Cinematographer: Space Chimps (Starz/Vanguard Animation)
Responsible for designing and overseeing the shot design, character staging, and camera work of the movie. Collaborated closely with Barry Sonnenfeld.
- 2000-2002 Director of Photography, Finding Nemo (Pixar Animation Studios/Disney)
Designed camera work and staging throughout the film. Worked closely with the director, editor, production designer, and crew to fulfill the cinematic vision of the filming and staging.
- Oct 1997- Sep 1999 Director of Photography, Toy Story 2 (Pixar Animation Studios/Disney)
Responsible for developing and supervising the camera work and staging for the majority of the movie. Worked closely with the director, editor, and crew to support the story through the CG filming and staging.
OTHER RELEVANT INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE
- Jun 2015-Present, CCO, Nørlum
Chief Creative Officer (CCO) of the award-winning Danish animation studio Nørlum. Responsible for original content slate development and creative oversight within the studio. Nørlum is best known for co-producing the Oscar-nominated 2D features ‘Song of the Sea’, ‘Long Way North’ and ‘Calamity’. Animated and delivered half of Disney’s Emmy-nominated Big Hero 6 – The Series. Nørlum develops, produces and co-produces high-quality content with international partners: www.norlum.dk.
- Apr 2014-Present, Filmmaker | Narrative Alchemist, JC Creative Studios
Director/writer of original material for film and television. Developed, wrote, and/or directed projects with international partners, including the Oscar-nominated studio Cartoon Saloon, Nørlum, Quad Films, and Disney. Highly sought-after creative and/or story consultant for independent films such as the Oscar-nominated feature The Breadwinner as well as Wolfwalkers, Dreambuilders, and Voyagers of the Enchanted Forest.
- Sep 2009-Present, Guest Teacher & Curriculum Designer, The Animation Workshop
Core contributor to the guest instructor and curriculum development team in the Bachelor streams for Animation and Computer Graphics Arts at the highly-respected Danish school The Animation Workshop. Class topics include directing, narrative structure, story development, cinematic design, visual structure, cinematography, editing, and creative collaboration. Also a mentor for various student film projects.
INDUSTRY OUTREACH & INVOLVEMENT
- Member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, Short Film and Feature Animation Branch.
- Academy Gold Mentorship Program - Mentor (2017 & 2018).
- Accredited Cinematographer with the Canadian Society of Cinematographers.
- Board Member of the Education Committee of The Animation Workshop.
- International Speaker/Teacher, primarily in Story, Cinematic Design, and Cinematography.
- 1997-2002 Self-Directed Education in Filmmaking and Storytelling
Various San Francisco Area Institutions (San Francisco State University , Dominican College, and Pixar Animation Studios - full details available upon request)
- 1989-1993 B.S. Computer Science & Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
REFERENCES: Available upon request.